Stories about Robert F. Parsons

Here are some stories about Robert F. Parsons who was Grandma Olivia and Alfred Parsons grandfather.

Robert F. was born November 13, 1841 and died July 7, 1925.

He married Susan Mary Wimsett on January 17, 1865. Susan was a red head and five of their ten children were also red headed. Guess that is where Mom got her red hair.

Both grandparents were born in the Indian Creek Territory and were baptized, married and buried from St. Stephen's in Indian Creek, MO.

Grandfather Parsons fought in the Civil War and was wounded. No doctor removed the bullet from his hip and he had that bullet till he died and for all I know it is still in his casket with his dust!!

Gerald Hays said his Grandfather Parsons walked stiff legged the rest of his life and often used a cane. The wound had to be cleaned and dressed daily and he carried a peculiar odor with him all of his life. Windows were left open in the house since the house also had a constant bad odor.

Grandfather Parsons was never without pain and became addicted to a narcotic before he died at the age of 86 years.

Tom and Matt Hays said a window would be left open in the bedroom to try and freshen the air and propped open with a slat. Grandfather didn't like that and when he decided enough was enough he would reach over with his cane and whop that slat and down would fall the window with a resounding crash that echoed though out the house!

Often had to replace a broken window pane. Laura Long said she and her sister, Sylvia, loved to follow their grandfather around when he was walking or doing chores because Grandfather was a 'swearer' and the most they had ever heard their dad say was 'shucks' so this was new and daring to them.

Grandfather at one time lived right north of the south railroad tracks on Main Street in Monroe. A diecasting plant is there now.

Laura also told me about Grandfather and Grandmother's oldest son, James W. who was born in late 1865 and married Sarah Rebecca Lanham and moved to California. He died of food poisoning in 1889 and Laura sure scoffs at that.

She says, "Yes, he died of food poisoning all right. He was poisoned by his wife."

The widow moved back to Missouri and had a baby whom she named James W. Jr in 1890. Matt Hays said the boy was raised by Grandfather Parsons.

Grandmother Parsons died on October 28, 1899 from a runaway team accident. She was driving the team and the cross piece holding up the tongue and neck yoke of the wagon broke which made the tongue drop down and stick into the ground and that made the spring wagon flip over. She yelled for the boys to jump and they made it off safely. Grandmother bled to death internally.

Tom Hays said she was a big heavy woman which made the fall harder on her. On the other hand, Grandfather was a slight man and very quiet, except when he was cussing up a storm.

Tom said there was a George who had a limb amputated at his house and the limb was buried in the yard and the kids used to dig holes in the yard trying to find the buried bones.

Tom Hays said Albert and Alton were Robert and Susan's twin sons but Grandmother's sister, Eliza Jane and her husband, Francis Fowler, took Alton to Kansas to raise.

Tom 'thinks' the reason was because the house was so over crowded or because there was something wrong with him or Grandmother simply could not cope. At any rate, little Alton died on December 14, 1886 at the age of four months.

Tom Hays also said the Parsons, Montgomery's, Wimsatt's, Buckmans, Piercealls, Spaldings, Sims, etc, were from Royalty and he called them 'landed gentry' and were called Lord Baltimore people.

The second Lord Baltimore was not as nice as the first so 27 families left Maryland and came to Louisville in or around Washington County in Kentucky.

The Hays people were called 'Brush Cutters' and moved to MO and kept on cutting brush!

Read times since 12/20/1997